Monday, April 19, 2021

1990 Classic #T26

Type: Base Card
Acquired: Bought Online
Okay, technically this isn't a Bo Jackson card. It's a Nolan Ryan card where he is holding a Bo Jackson card. The card in question that the Ryan Express is holding is a 1987 Classic #369. This is one of Bo's most popular rookie cards and features him in his Auburn baseball and football gear. Nolan & Bo actually have a history with each other. Nolan once took a Bo hit to the face and was still able to throw him out! The bloody face & jersey of Nolan after the hit would become an iconic image of the time.
Then in 1993 Bo helped save Nolan Ryan after he hurled a fastball to the ribs of Robin Ventura! In his words Ryan said "All I remember is that I couldn’t breathe. I thought I was going to black out and die, when all of a sudden I see two big arms tossing bodies off of me. It was [Chicago’s] Bo Jackson. He had come to my rescue, and I’m awful glad he did, because I was about to pass out. I called him that night and thanked him.”
Two great players intertwined in the history of baseball. This card show cases the bond between the two. Even though Ryan looks like he wants nothing to do with the photo shoot, he will forever be linked to Bo Jackson and their greatness on the diamond.

No comments:

Post a Comment