Monday, February 12, 2018

1987 Topps #170

Type: Rookie Card
Acquired: Via Card Pack
This was the first Bo Jackson card I ever had in my collection and the 1987 Topps set is what really got me into card collecting. I am a huge Mets fan and 1987 was the year after they won the World Series, so I had to collect the cards of my fave Mets. These included Gary Carter, Keith Hernandez, Dwight Gooden, Ray Knight and Darryl Strawberry to name a few. My Dad would bring home packs of these cards every so often and I was hooked. We used to sit at the kitchen table and unwrap those wax packs at night and my Dad would tell us all about the players and managers as we hung on his every word, we would chew on the chalky, sugary gum that was in every pack. It really was a great bonding experience for us and really solidified my love for the game. It wasn't until a year later that Bo really caught my attention with his mammoth home runs and laser precision throws, but when he did I was glad I had this card in my collection. I know it's not worth a heck of a lot today, but it has a ton of sentimental value to me.

2 comments:

  1. My first Bo card was from the 1986 Topps Traded set. Still have it today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a fantastic card to have in any collection!

      Delete